Drugs seized from Lake County apartment fire that left man badly burned

Mentor-On-The-Lake firefighters discovered more than a fire when they responded to a call a few days ago.

The fire department responded to the Northshore Estates Apartment Complex on Plains Road for an explosion that started a fire inside one of the townhouses at the complex, according to police.

Once inside police said firefighters found a man badly burned. Fire crews also found what they believed to be drug manufacturing equipment and called the Mentor-On-The-Lake police department.

Police believe the man's burns and injuries are the result of the manufacturing of some type of street drug.  The Lake County Narcotics Agents were also called to the scene to investigate.

LCNA Special Agents obtained a search warrant for the home and police officers from both departments searched the home. During that search, police said, they found evidence that indicated the man had been in the process of manufacturing Butane Hash Oil (BHO) when the explosion happened.

Quantities of chemicals that would be needed to manufacture the “Shatter” or “Dab” were seized by police and taken from the residence as well as several pounds of harvested marijuana. Police also confiscated the equipment for an indoor marijuana growing operation.

The man was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center for his injuries. Both agencies are continuing the investigation.

*click back button to return to news post list