A grand jury recently indicted three men who allegedly dealt drugs to inmates inside the Ottawa County jail.
Corwin Qualls, 40, Timothy Johnson, 49, and John Wyatt, 34, each face multiple felony charges of illegal conveyance of drugs into a detention facility, drug trafficking, money laundering and engaging in a pattern of corrupt activity.
Last month, the men distributed drugs to inmates after the substances had been smuggled into the county jail, according to reports from the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office and the county Drug Task Force.
Authorities were alerted to the the men’s alleged drug dealing after an inmate had to be hospitalized for an overdose. The investigation which followed led to the the charges.
Qualls was indicted last month after he allegedly supplied drugs to a Port Clinton woman who smuggled the contraband and gave it to her boyfriend in prison. The drug task force started to investigate him after the woman died from an overdosed from fentanyl that police believe she got from Qualls.
He is being held in the Ottawa County jail, but Johnson is in the Erie County jail and Wyatt is currently incarcerated in the Butler County jail.
Others indicted include:
• Demarco Johnson, 27, of Michigan, was charged with complicity to possess and traffic in fentanyl, acetyl fentanyl and heroin.
• Demetrius Cassity, 23, of Michigan, faces charges of criminal simulation and complicity to possess and traffic in fentanyl, acetyl fentanyl and heroin.
• Taylor Hedges, of Toledo, was indicted on charges of disrupting a public service and child endangering.
• Jacquelin Beedy, 27, of Oak Harbor, was charged with tampering with evidence and permitting drug abuse.
• Martin Elrod, 36, of Oak Harbor, was charged with drug possession and drug paraphernalia possession.
• Riley Dray, of Marblehead, faces charges of drug trafficking, OVI, underage possession of alcohol and marijuana paraphernalia possession.
• Daryl Wilson Jr., 39, who’s held in the Erie County jail, was charged with theft.
• Austin Shaffer, 19, of Millbury, was indicted on charges of menacing by stalking, criminal damaging and criminal mischief.
• Justin Macgillivray, of Marblehead, was charged with marijuana trafficking, marijuana paraphernalia possession.
• Earl Woolley, 72, of Carey, faces charges of improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, OVI, a marked lanes violation and an open container violation.
• Jamie Zolcienski, 34, who’s held in the Ottawa County jail, was charged with complicity to marijuana trafficking.
• Jason Sanders, 40, who’s held in the Ottawa County jail, was indicted on a charge of complicity to marijuana trafficking.
An indictment is merely a formal charge and does not denote guilt or innocence.
Published by the www.sanduskyregister.com